When I want to keep my Frenchie busy and mentally-engaged, I have found a Kong stuffed with a delicious filling is a great option. My dog trainer once told us that “a tired out dog is a well-behaved dog.” A stuffed Kong is stimulating for your French Bulldog in multiple ways. Below are 13 Kong-Stuffing recipes to keep your Frenchie entertained, occupied, and out of trouble.
3 Reasons Stuffing A Kong For Your French Bulldog Is a Great Idea
There are many benefits to stuffing some delicious fillings inside a Kong toy for your French Bulldog. They have to work hard to get the filling out. This activity keeps your Frenchie mentally stimulated and out of trouble. Here are some of the benefits of Kong stuffing:
- Endless amounts of Entertainment – Having a Kong that you can stuff with treats will keep your French Bulldog entertained and occupied for quite some time. The more goodies and stuffing you put in the Kong the more challenging it will be for your Frenchie to get it out.
- Earn Some Free Time – We all need to get things done around the house from time to time and if you have a way to keep your French Bulldog engaged and out of trouble this is great. It can be a lot easier to get things done around the house when your French Bulldog is not right under your feet. A Kong stuffed with some delicious and nutritious fillings can be very handy when you need to earn yourself some free time.
- Mental Calisthenics – Stuffing a Kong is a workout for your little Frenchie’s mind. for your little guy’s mind. It can provide your French Bulldog with mental stimulation while getting them some good nutrition at the same time. A bored French Bulldog is more likely to get themselves into some trouble. This might manifest in chewing of furniture legs, chewing on shoes, eating socks, getting into the trash and more. The mental stimulation from Kong stuffing will hopefully keep your Frenchie entertained and busy for a while.
13 Kong-Stuffing Healthy Foods You Can Put In Your French Bulldog’s Kong
So you want to stuff a Kong for your French Bulldog but what should you put in their Kong? There are a handful of typical ingredients that are solid choices when choosing to stuff a Kong for your Frenchie. One of the first things to think about should be the selection of an ingredient that’s good for freezing. Stuffing the Kon is one thing but keeping it in there is another thing entirely. The binding agent will essentially be what holds the other nutritious ingredients together inside the Kong. That binding agent should be the base. From there you can choose other items from the list below to add into the mix.
- Apples – An apple a day keeps the Vet away? Maybe not but Frenchies do love little chunks of Apple stuffed into a Kong. One important point to mention is to not let your Frenchie have any pieces of the core, stems, or Apple seeds which can be harmful to them.
- Applesauce – Applesauce is a great Kong stuffing material and can even act as a ‘binding agent’ when frozen.
- Baby Food – This may sound odd but my French Bulldog LOVES this! Choose an all-natural baby food brand for your Kong stuffing adventures. They come in all kinds of flavors that your French Bulldog may love.
- Cantaloupe – Cantaloupe is a tasty treat for your French Bulldog you just need to make sure to remove all the rind as that isn’t good for them. You can dice up some cantaloupe and put it inside the kong with a binding agent for some Frenchie fun.
- Carrots – Carrots are a great choice for Kong stuffing. Carrots are high in fiber and beta-carotene. Shredded carrots make it even easier to stuff inside the kong and you can even buy pre shredded carrots from the grocery store.
- Eggs – Eggs are a great source of very digestible protein, healthy fats for their coats, riboflavin, and selenium. For some French Bulldogs that are likely to have digestive issues, eggs can give your Frenchie a good protein boost. You can scramble the eggs in a pan or hard boil them and stuff them into your French Bulldog’s Kong.
- Sweet Potato – Sweet potato is a great Kong stuffing, is safe for your French Bulldog, and can provide them a variety of health benefits. Sweet potatoes aid in digestive health due to their high fiber content. Sweet potatoes also are low in fat and contain vitamin B6, vitamin C, and manganese.
- Dog Food Kibble – You can also simply use your French Bulldog’s normal dog kibble as an easy way to add some nutrition inside your Kong. Most dog kibble is small and easy enough to stuff inside with a binding agent.
- Peanut Butter – Peanut butter is a delicious Kong stuffer that can also act as a binding agent for other food you can stuff inside of the Kong. I will say that Peanut Butter is high in fat and calories so don’t overdo it or you might risk adding unneeded pounds to your French Bulldog. You absolutely must ensure it doesn’t contain the artificial sweetener xylitol as it can be harmful to your French Bulldog’s health.
- Pumpkin – Organic canned pumpkin is a great option for stuffing inside a Kong. If your French Bulldog has a sensitive stomach organic pumpkin might be a great option for them. I’d recommend purchasing the high quality organic pumpkin that doesn’t contain any added sugar or preservatives.
- Squash – Fresh squash is a great Kong stuffing option for your French Bulldog. It is best to offer your French Bulldog fresh squash, instead of from a can if possible. Just make sure to cook the squash before giving it to your Frenchie. To prepare it, remove the skin, remove the seeds, and cook it well before stuffing in a Kong.
- Yogurt – Your Frenchie can eat yogurt and it is a good healthy option as well. If your Frenchie isn’t lactose intolerant, yogurt is a great treat and supplement to their diet. I recommend that you only choose yogurts that are free of sweeteners and flavors. It is best to purchase the all-natural organic brands.
- Turkey – Ground turkey breast is a great option for Kong stuffing too. It is high in protein and is a good lean meat.
Conclusion – Kong Stuffing Options For Your French Bulldog
There you have it my French Bulldog loving friend. These are some great options to stuff inside a Kong for your beloved pet. I recommend experimenting with different Kong stuffing combinations and I am confident it will keep your French Bulldog busy for hours on end! Enjoy!
Article is sponsored by www.FrenchieJourney.com.